1. Hello and welcome to GirlsForum.com, an online community for girls to talk about anything: fashion, beauty tips, or advice! We'd love to have you as part of our community so why not sign up today? It's free!

Zero confidence in a foreign country

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Holz2Cute, May 2, 2016.

1. Holz2Cute

Holz2Cute New Member

Hey I need some girl talk.
    So I moved abroad to live with my boyfriend which is wonderful. It's a beautiful country with all the seasons, we live near a lake where we can swim and the sunshines most days. The only problem is I don't speak the language and it's killing my confidence.
    It was okay at first, I was just a newbie learning the ropes but now I've been here a year and I still can't talk to his family or anything except for hello/goodbye/please etc. I look so silly.
    It's wrecking my confidence and putting me off going out without him by my side. I want to find a job and start making friends and living my live but my confidence is at an all time low to the point where I feel incredibly freaked and panicked if I go anywhere alone. I try to talk a little in the language (the few pathetic words I do know like cat and rain and coffee) but I clam up and I stand there going umm ahh umm eehh umm until everyone officially thinks I'm insane and moves the conversation past me.
    What can I do to boost my confidence and and help me get back out there and fit in better?

2. girlyfriendcollecting

girlyfriendcollecting Member

I know how you feel when I came to America as a kid the fact that I did not know the language at all ruined my education people bullied me and pretended I was stupid when they talked to me just because I did not know the language very well its an easy target. if your planning to live there for a while its best to just focus on learning the language. I have been in america for about fourteen years now on and off and I know that knowing the language well will really help with confidence and finding a job easier.

3. Lusi

Lusi New Member

Why you don't take some language lessons?
    It must be interesting to be able to speak the language of the country you live. You can know more about the place you live, about people.
    Watch movies, TV, try to listen it everywhere. Ask your bf help you.
    I changed some countries and always start up with the native language
    Good luck!

4. rabbithabit

rabbithabit Active Member

i have lived in phillipines, singapore and korea before taiwan so understand well the stress you are feeling. the only solution is to learn some of the language or hang out with people that speak english. why do you want to work if you're boyfriend is supporting you? when i was in these countries i never had the desire to work and found friends that could speak english as well as local language to translate for me. over time i learned the local language sufficient to communicate. i prefer being free of bonds of work life.