• Hello and welcome to GirlsForum.com, an online community for girls to talk about anything: fashion, beauty tips, or advice! We'd love to have you as part of our community so why not sign up today? It's free!

Too Young for Stockings

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlene

I'm a mom and I wanted some girls opinions on the following. My daughter and I are going to a wedding soon. When I attend these formal events I like to dress very feminine. One example, I like to wear stockings rather than pantyhose. I would like my daughter to do the same. Is she too young to wear her first garter belt? She is 12. My mom gave me my first garter belt at 14. Thank you for any advice.

Arya Janina

I don't see why not. As long as the garter belt is plain (aka, not really lacy or sexual), I think it would be fine. An alternative are knee-high stockings. I wore them when I was younger, and they stayed up without any problems, but if her dress is shorter that wouldn't really work.

charlene

Thank you Arya for your reply. Yes I have a garter belt for her which has a little lace, it is feminine. Stockings will be nude with a touch of brown to match her dress. She is looking forward to the event. Thank you again. I hope I may get more responses.

Kellygirl59

I've never worn a garter belt and stockings. It was pantyhose for me when I was about fourteen or so.
As I got older pantyhose became a pain. I wear thigh hi's now.
Your daughter in my opinion is ready at her age to become a young lady and wear pretty clothes

charlene

Thank you Kelly for your encouragement. My tradition from my mom is to wear a garter belt and stockings (to "special" occasions). My daughter's dress, lingerie, and heels for the wedding (6/27) are all ready to go. She is very happy with all our selections. She will be pretty and very feminine that day.
As you have never worn a garter belt and stockings, you may want to try it for your next occasion. You do feel very feminine. And as your suggestion, I may try thigh-hi's in the future (as I have never worn them).
Thank you again for your response. Charlene

W

Wendy in Canada

Hi Charlene, I am a little late to this thread and I hope all went well at the wedding and that your daughter enjoyed wearing her stockings and garter belt. I was your daughter's age when I started wearing them and still love the feminine look and feel of them. My own daughter started wearing them at the same age though she wanted to wear them much earlier, but I thought 12 was the appropriate time. And like her mom, still loves to wear them.

charlene

Hi Wendy, yes everything went well on Saturday for the wedding. My daughter was very feminine and very pretty for the occasion. I'm glad to hear that both you and your daughter got your first garter belts at 12. I thought I might be a bit early with my daughter since I didn't get my first garter belt til I was 14. On Saturday we dressed together and I showed her how to wear the garter belt and the stockings. She had a little trouble with the 2 back garters but after I showed her how I attach the stockings to my back garters, she was fine. thank you again for your thoughts. Now we await the next special occasion. Charlene

W

Wendy in Canada

Hi Charlene, I am glad that it went well with the wedding. It does takes some practice to get used to attaching garters to stockings. I hope your daughter get more chances to wear them. I used to wear them to church every Sunday and then in high school. When I went to school we all wore dresses and skirts with stockings and garters. We all looked like little secretaries. LOL.

charlene

Hi Wendy, thanks for your suggestions for dressing up. Church is out since we don't go that frequently. For school, my daughter will be in the 7th grade in the fall at a catholic school. There the skirts and knee socks are closely monitored by the nuns. So no way. So I'm glad she had an opportunity to wear her garter belt and stockings (and heels) this summer. Maybe we will again soon.

charlene

For those who may be interested. I ran across this recently. The "how to wear" garter belts and stockings videos are found on the "secrets in lace how to videos" web site. My daughter and I thought they were informative. Btw. The model is absolutely gorgeous! Thank you, Charlene heaton

TaylorAnn

I don't see why not. As long as the garter belt is plain (aka, not really lacy or sexual), I think it would be fine. An alternative are knee-high stockings. I wore them when I was younger, and they stayed up without any problems, but if her dress is shorter that wouldn't really work.
I have to agree with you. So long as it's nothing something that is 'sexy' I'm sure that she will be fine. I have never worn them, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to at her age.

charlene

Thank you TaylorAnn for your response. I am glad to see that all the responses here have been positive. I just wasn't sure if 12 was the right age to let my daughter wear stockings and a garter belt. The garter belt I bought for her was not sexy per se but it was feminine (sheer, silky, and had some frills). Charlene

Status
Not open for further replies.