• Hello and welcome to GirlsForum.com, an online community for girls to talk about anything: fashion, beauty tips, or advice! We'd love to have you as part of our community so why not sign up today? It's free!

Stripes are slimming?

Mally126

I am a fan of stripes as a pattern on clothes, and I was told that stripes are slimming. But whenever I wear them, I find it has the opposite effect! :-/ I recently got a pair of jeans which are striped, and they make me look bigger. It also happened when I wore my old dressing gown, also striped. I'm confused!

Hi, there! Based on my experience that I can share with you, horizontal lines always make me look wider in size while vertical stripes make me look slimmer. Hope this helps. :)

Mally126

I've worn vertical stripes, and they make me look big. That's what I was referring to in both examples. The jeans made my legs look bigge and my hips look wider (which looks awful as my hips aren't even all that wide), and the dressing gown had a similar effect on my waist and chest (again, not at all what i want!)

I've worn vertical stripes, and they make me look big. That's what I was referring to in both examples. The jeans made my legs look bigge and my hips look wider (which looks awful as my hips aren't even all that wide), and the dressing gown had a similar effect on my waist and chest (again, not at all what i want!)
I totally agree with you! That's why I really prefer wearing plain designs and less detailed clothes.

i had the same experience with yours!

nateboussad

I can't say that I've ever found striped patterns particularly alluring myself, but I suppose that they can cause visual distortions which some might find appealing. Vertical stripes tend to have a slimming affect on anyone who wears them, so you look a little skinnier if you've got vertical stripes on. The thickness or thinness of stripes could also lead to other psychological distortions which might serve, if nothing else, to give the wearer a strange quality which might make them seem more interesting if you didn't realize that it was actually just the stripes making them stand out from the crowd a bit.

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

Last edited:

Mally126

Stripes are one of my favorite patterns to wear, I have many others I like too, such Polka dots, animal print, small floral (larger floral always makes me think of curtains or bedding - no offense to anyone who does like it though). Maybe I should stick to patterns on my top half?

Stripes are one of my favorite patterns to wear, I have many others I like too, such Polka dots, animal print, small floral (larger floral always makes me think of curtains or bedding - no offense to anyone who does like it though). Maybe I should stick to patterns on my top half?
as long as the other half is plain and simpler. That would do! :)

Redgirl

Vertical stripes usually work okay for me, but if I really want to draw attention away from my shape I wear some really obnoxious pattern. It's like camouflage for hips!