• Hello and welcome to GirlsForum.com, an online community for girls to talk about anything: fashion, beauty tips, or advice! We'd love to have you as part of our community so why not sign up today? It's free!

Safety tips for girls while traveling alone

Ericka

It is true, at least once we should or will need to travel by our own. It is normal so, relax. Based on some experiences and researched information, here are some useful tips women should know before making a trip.

Protect your money and documents.

As your packing and luggage, you need to travel light and avoid carrying many handbags and stuff with you. A good tip is to get a money belt, you can find it easily, it is cheap and you can use it under your clothes.

Visit public and safe places.
Avoid walking alone especially at night and in dark places. Try to visit popular places and if you need something or get some information avoid asking a stranger, you better go to a coffee shop, restaurant or store and ask an employee. You can also have with you a pepper spray.

Avoid Taxi Cabs.
Taxis are not always the best option, you don’t know if they’re completely safe or which route they can take. You don’t need to be looking for a taxi standing alone at street, there are some private transportation agencies like Uber or an airport shuttle that will provide you the whole information of your rides like the type of car, driver’s name, routes, and timing information. You can also ask for a woman driver if you want to!

Be careful of what you eat and drink.
Don’t eat or drink too much, know your limits. You can use websites like trip advisor and search for the most recommended places. Try to avoid eating at street and if you want to have fun and take a couple drinks do it with moderation. If you meet people at restaurants and bars don’t let them know you’re traveling alone and don’t give them specific information. You never know people’s intentions and who you’re talking to.

Bring some medication or your personal “first aid kit”.
You know your body and which medications you need at specific situations. Consider that it might be difficult to find some medications in other countries, cities or places so, you better bring them with you (medications for headache, stomachache, pain, antibacterial gel, contraceptives, etc.).

And Always trust and listen your instinct, take care of yourself and have an amazing travel.

Last edited by a moderator:

missy23232323

Another thing to add - try to resist using earphones/listening to music while walking in a new environment bcuz it makes u less aware of surrounding and also potential dangers lurking.

HelenMarbl

You forgot about the most important thing! Every girl who travels alone should be absolutely sure about the place where she lives. It is very important where you book/rent hotels/apartments. Of course, it's good when your friends or someone you trust can advise for you someplace to stay. But, as usual, we do it by ourselves. I wish everyone to travel safely!

Last edited by a moderator:

mundus

My tips...Keep a copy of your passport with you.
Money, credit/debit cards...decant into a cigarette box, or into a small waterproof plaster (band aid) box. I've read of people making up a "dummy" wallet, with expired store/loyalty cards, which can be handed over if mugged, but I've no idea if this is an urban myth or not.
Earphones...wearing these not only advertises the fact that a traveller has a phone/ipod etc, but also isolates them from their surroundings, traffic conditions and potential risks.
Confidence...... there is a theory that if someone looks like a victim, they will be treated like one. Fortunately, as solo travellers, we only have responsibility for ourselves, and don't need to be distracted by or pander to other peoples fears and phobia's. If we aren't comfortable in a given situation/location etc, we can confidently slap on a smile, walk tall, pack up and move on.
I also recommend using a taxi transfer. For example in Greece you can use this Greece Taxi Transfer service.

Last edited:

Rhonda333

Staff member
carry a handgun. I run cross country alone in the mornings and I always have Mr Ruger with me in a fanny pack. The great equalizer girls- when you can't carry a cop with you.