1. Hello and welcome to GirlsForum.com, an online community for girls to talk about anything: fashion, beauty tips, or advice! We'd love to have you as part of our community so why not sign up today? It's free!

My nails keep breaking - what should I do?

Discussion in 'Style, Beauty & Fashion Tips' started by davie, May 9, 2014.

1. davie

davie Guest

It's like really awful, I never had this problem before this past winter...but then all of a sudden the end of my nails starting splitting. Some people said it was because of the dry winter so I just decided to keep them really short for the rest of the winter. But now that its gotten warmer, they are no better. Why is this happening? What can I do about it? I really want to keep my nails longer but they just ending up looking ugly because they end up splitting and then I have some that are short and others that are long :(

2. Jhoanna

Jhoanna New Member

hmmm... try to put some petroleum jelly on your nails before you sleep :)

3. Candice Coleen Kowal

Candice Coleen Kowal Princess

Davie,
    Just like we start to get acne when we get in our late teens, changes in the body chemistry can affect our nails.
    I noticed about 3 years ago my nails started developing ridges and were brittle.
    I started using nail hardener for about a year and now I stopped using it for a bit and my nails are much stronger.
    I also drink more water to get iron and minerals, I moisturize with Vaseline Coco radiant lotion, and keep them clean.
    Here's a few thinks to keep in mind.....
    • Keep your nails clean and dry.
    • Avoid nail-biting or picking.
    • Apply moisturizer to your nails and cuticles every day. Creams with urea, phospholipids, orlactic acid can help prevent cracking.
    • File your nails in one direction and round the tip slightly, rather than filing to a point.
    • Don't remove the cuticles or clean too deeply under your nails, which can lead to infection.
    • Don't dig out ingrown toenails. See a dermatologist if they become bothersome.
    • Avoid nail polish removers that contain acetone or formaldehyde.
    • If you have artificial nails, check regularly for green discoloration (a sign of bacterial infection).
    • Eat a balanced diet and take vitamins containing biotin.
    To maintain your healthy fingernails over time, it may sound quirky but, ask your doctor to take a look at them during your next checkup.

Just like the eyes are the window to the soul, so are the nails.....
    Warning signs for many other conditions, from hepatitis to heart disease, may also appear when previously healthy fingernails undergo changes.
    Changes in the nails can be a sign of a local disease like a fungus infection or a sign of a systemic disease like lupus or anemia.
    Pale, whitish nail beds may indicate a low red blood cell count consistent with anemia.
    An iron deficiency can cause the nail bed to be thin and concave and have raised ridges.
    The nails offer many little clues to what's going on inside you. Lupus patients get quirky, angular blood vessels in their nail folds..
    Psoriasis starts in the nails up to 10% of the time" and causes splitting and pitting of the nail bed.
    Heart disease can turn the nail beds red.
    Obsessive-compulsive disorder can show up in the nails through persistent nail-biting or picking.
    Even common disorders like thyroid disease can cause abnormalities in the nail beds, producing dry, brittle nails that crack and split easily.

After is all said and done, it just probably just some changes in your body hormones...and being proactive on getting them back to normal is all you can do....hope that helps!

Vikita, Kimbee and (deleted member) like this.
  4. davie

davie Guest

Thanks so much! Lots to learn :)

5. maxine

maxine New Member

I used Sally Hansens products for over a year - it was worth it. My nails look much better now.

6. emy emy99

emy emy99 New Member

thx
    Candice Coleen Kowal your solutions are perfect

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2014
  7. camilahusgen

camilahusgen New Member

There s some foods that can help u on it, like carrot. Its good to hair, nails and skin, but there s some nailpolishs that help the nails keep strong.

davie likes this.
  8. Vikita

Vikita New Member

Try to not bite them too much and not too much too much nail polish as this can make the nails weak, however there is a nail strengthener nail polish which will make them stronger.

9. rabbithabit

rabbithabit Active Member

exposure to water drys your nails so i use jojoba oil to moisturize my nails as well the rest of my body at least twice each day especially if i have been swimming or surfing. i have never had split or broken nails since i started moisturizing them daily.