• Hello and welcome to GirlsForum.com, an online community for girls to talk about anything: fashion, beauty tips, or advice! We'd love to have you as part of our community so why not sign up today? It's free!

Is it better to be right or happy?

Christinegirl

If you're right but you have to act like you're wrong, I don't see how you can be truly happy - saying we're wrong when we know we're right seems like selling-out, to me.

(Though sometimes we might not insist we're right, just to keep the peace.)

Thoughts? :)

Lexedrine

Cultish
Fitting in to some place where you're right, but anyone else would not be right, so as a result, you say it to be wrong just to deter others is pandering to everyone else -- but maybe not for no reason. Other people have sensitivities, too, which you should be caring about with appropriate respect with yourself. If you're so right, face yourself in a mirror, and go, "You know I'll understand." >_<

How can others feel forgiving about you if you, yourself, are not being forgiving towards yourself?

Christinegirl

How can others feel forgiving about you if you, yourself, are not being forgiving towards yourself?
Because it depends on where the other person is coming from. For example, you could hurt me and I could forgive you - even if you don't forgive yourself. ;)

Christinegirl

But we should forgive everyone (according to Jesus). It's not blindness, but rather, it's an indication of wisdom:

If we're spiritually advanced/wise enough to know/believe that sometimes, when others hurt us, they don't understand that it's wrong (in the "big picture"), we can forgive them because they don't understand.
It's like when a small child steals from us. We can be forgiving because we understand that they don't realize that stealing is wrong.

If we understand everything after we die, then we'll understand that the times we were selfish and didn't care whom we hurt, for example, we were wrong. And we'll be sorry for the pain we caused others. That's how we can be forgiving towards others now - because we understand that now, but some other people don't.

For example, when parents raise their children in a dysfunction home life, those parents will understand, after they die, the damage they caused to their children's lives (if there's an afterlife. That will be their "hell" - having regret and being sorry for what they did).

Also, it's like when someone teases/bullies us. If we understand that they are/were possibly bullied/abused at home and that they're coming from a place of sadness and pain, that realization helps us to forgive them.
;)

Lexedrine

Cultish
But we should forgive everyone (according to Jesus). It's not blindness, but rather, it's an indication of wisdom:

If we're spiritually advanced/wise enough to know/believe that sometimes, when others hurt us, they don't understand that it's wrong (in the "big picture"), we can forgive them because they don't understand.
It's like when a small child steals from us. We can be forgiving because we understand that they don't realize that stealing is wrong.

If we understand everything after we die, then we'll understand that the times we were selfish and didn't care whom we hurt, for example, we were wrong. And we'll be sorry for the pain we caused others. That's how we can be forgiving towards others now - because we understand that now, but some other people don't.

For example, when parents raise their children in a dysfunction home life, those parents will understand, after they die, the damage they caused to their children's lives (if there's an afterlife. That will be their "hell" - having regret and being sorry for what they did).

Also, it's like when someone teases/bullies us. If we understand that they are/were possibly bullied/abused at home and that they're coming from a place of sadness and pain, that realization helps us to forgive them.
;)
While I understand what you're saying, the Bible also says that if you love your child, you should provide their discipline early on. I believe that in a way, society is kind of like a child that is beckoning some discipline. What kind of ladies would we be if we lacked any discipline? Good, proper, and righteous discipline is good for the youth and grants us respectability. The law might be too busy to counsel every little delinquent for us.

Christinegirl

Forgiveness doesn't mean a lack of discipline. ;)

A lack of discipline is just as bad as too much discipline aka child abuse.

Lexedrine

Cultish
Forgiveness doesn't mean a lack of discipline. ;)

A lack of discipline is just as bad as too much discipline aka child abuse.
Okay. Good clarification. The impression I was getting was that some think forgiveness means no discipline. Jesus tells us it's okay to have some salt. :confused:

Seeing a lack of good discipline in others causes some of us to feel compelled to amp up the discipline we have. Very interesting of you to say that under-discipline is as bad as abusive discipline. :mad::D