• Hello and welcome to GirlsForum.com, an online community for girls to talk about anything: fashion, beauty tips, or advice! We'd love to have you as part of our community so why not sign up today? It's free!

I'm not comfortable with my body but I have to show my face in public

Flowergurl

So, I'm an IP creator, for those of you who don't know, it's something like hello kitty, capoo bugcat, to put it simply I draw comics and animations for my characters, sell their merch, etc

Me and my IP partner decided to get in touch with other IP creators, for connections

We had a video call with one of the IP creator, he's surprised when he saw our face, (we never really showed our face to public) and stated that we could get more engagement by "selling our face".

To put it simply, he said that as a creator, people will be more interested in your work if they see your face and your lifestyle. He said that our face can definitely sell out and help our brand gain more reach.

He then ask for our personal instagram, we gave him. He then said that he's interested to become our manager, he said that beside our current job as IP creator we could be cosplayer and vlogger with such face.

"You both have beautiful faces that can sell out and definitely increase your brand reach. But Flowergurl (me) is fat, u need to fix that then you'll be perfect"

I'm kind of conflicted and his word kinda hurt my feeling. I never really want to show my face, I don't like it when people judge my art based on my looks, my mentality is not strong enough too if people leave hate comment on my appearances.

Throughout my life, my face do have some good points that my country consider to be good, double eyelids, large round eyes, defined nose, thick eyebrows and long eyelashes etc. But my body is not what they desired, especially in the cosplay community, u know, busty, curvy body, thick thighs, short body, short compact legs.

I'm not overweight, my weight is normal, but then again the beauty standards in my place prefer underweight girls than the normal one.

I'm conflicted, should I sell out my face, as what he mentioned it will increase my brand's reach, but I'm not comfortable with it, what should I do??

Christinegirl

Staff member
Don't hire him as a manager for starters, hon. I mean, what century is that guy living in?!
"Fix it"?! You're not a broken toaster! And for the record, a lot of people don't find "skinny" faces to be attractive.

He stated that you "could get more engagement by selling your face"? I don't know if that's entirely true, especially with animation. It's been my experience that people are more interested in the animated characters and it doesn't matter what the creator looks like. If anything, seeing the creator kind of loses the "illusion" of thinking the characters are people/individuals. Seeing the animator reminds us that they're just animated drawings.

When people leave hate comments on your appearance, they're just projecting their own self-loathing onto others. Otherwise, they wouldn't deliberately spend time going on the internet and criticizing what someone looks like. (Misery loves company.) It's not about you anymore - it's about them. When anyone is insulting, name-calling, etc., immediately turn the attention back onto them - it's very empowering - and say: "You don't like yourself very much, do you!"
Even if we don't like how someone looks, we won't say anything hurtful to the person - unless we feel bad about ourselves and we want to drag everyone else down to our level (how low we feel about ourselves).

The bottom line, hon, is: do what you're comfortable doing. If your creation is good, it will sell itself. :)

sandy brady

1) he is so inconsiderate. Your weight is your problem. If you like it. Keep it. if you dont, change it. He has no right coming at you like that! Also if he made the comment in a chat with other people, then he deserves to be called out for it, if you let him off he ll repeat this again. I do hope your colleague called him out on his comment, i know i always do

As someone in tech where its mostly men, I do think looks sell, men are materialistic so they see women physically more than anything. I say if your face sells...use it. I know it may sound rude but honestly any weapon is a good weapon. If your face increases your sales and helps your career, I dont see why you are not using it. Any hate comments are just that, people hiding behind screens begging to be noticed, so, dont notice them :)
From the sounds of it, your art is good, so regardless, keep working on that because you seem to love it :D

Flowergurl

Don't hire him as a manager for starters, hon. I mean, what century is that guy living in?!
"Fix it"?! You're not a broken toaster! And for the record, a lot of people don't find "skinny" faces to be attractive.

He stated that you "could get more engagement by selling your face"? I don't know if that's entirely true, especially with animation. It's been my experience that people are more interested in the animated characters and it doesn't matter what the creator looks like. If anything, seeing the creator kind of loses the "illusion" of thinking the characters are people/individuals. Seeing the animator reminds us that they're just animated drawings.

When people leave hate comments on your appearance, they're just projecting their own self-loathing onto others. Otherwise, they wouldn't deliberately spend time going on the internet and criticizing what someone looks like. (Misery loves company.) It's not about you anymore - it's about them. When anyone is insulting, name-calling, etc., immediately turn the attention back onto them - it's very empowering - and say: "You don't like yourself very much, do you!"
Even if we don't like how someone looks, we won't say anything hurtful to the person - unless we feel bad about ourselves and we want to drag everyone else down to our level (how low we feel about ourselves).

The bottom line, hon, is: do what you're comfortable doing. If your creation is good, it will sell itself. :)
Omg thanks a lot for your encouraging words

Flowergurl

1) he is so inconsiderate. Your weight is your problem. If you like it. Keep it. if you dont, change it. He has no right coming at you like that! Also if he made the comment in a chat with other people, then he deserves to be called out for it, if you let him off he ll repeat this again. I do hope your colleague called him out on his comment, i know i always do

As someone in tech where its mostly men, I do think looks sell, men are materialistic so they see women physically more than anything. I say if your face sells...use it. I know it may sound rude but honestly any weapon is a good weapon. If your face increases your sales and helps your career, I dont see why you are not using it. Any hate comments are just that, people hiding behind screens begging to be noticed, so, dont notice them :)
From the sounds of it, your art is good, so regardless, keep working on that because you seem to love it :D
Thabks a lot for the advice

Dwi17

So, I'm an IP creator, for those of you who don't know, it's something like hello kitty, capoo bugcat, to put it simply I draw comics and animations for my characters, sell their merch, etc

Me and my IP partner decided to get in touch with other IP creators, for connections

We had a video call with one of the IP creator, he's surprised when he saw our face, (we never really showed our face to public) and stated that we could get more engagement by "selling our face".

To put it simply, he said that as a creator, people will be more interested in your work if they see your face and your lifestyle. He said that our face can definitely sell out and help our brand gain more reach.

He then ask for our personal instagram, we gave him. He then said that he's interested to become our manager, he said that beside our current job as IP creator we could be cosplayer and vlogger with such face.

"You both have beautiful faces that can sell out and definitely increase your brand reach. But Flowergurl (me) is fat, u need to fix that then you'll be perfect"

I'm kind of conflicted and his word kinda hurt my feeling. I never really want to show my face, I don't like it when people judge my art based on my looks, my mentality is not strong enough too if people leave hate comment on my appearances.

Throughout my life, my face do have some good points that my country consider to be good, double eyelids, large round eyes, defined nose, thick eyebrows and long eyelashes etc. But my body is not what they desired, especially in the cosplay community, u know, busty, curvy body, thick thighs, short body, short compact legs.

I'm not overweight, my weight is normal, but then again the beauty standards in my place prefer underweight girls than the normal one.

I'm conflicted, should I sell out my face, as what he mentioned it will increase my brand's reach, but I'm not comfortable with it, what should I do??
I think we must to became ourself.. If we want change so we change but if not.. Just do ur life.. I think this is make we happy.. We must become more confident