• Hello and welcome to GirlsForum.com, an online community for girls to talk about anything: fashion, beauty tips, or advice! We'd love to have you as part of our community so why not sign up today? It's free!

I'm getting boots for a pirate costume,but I don't know if I should get the same size I would a regular shoe or bigger?

fantasy08

I've never worn boots before(or heels for that matter) so I don't know about their sizes difference from a regular shoe if any.

In regular shoes I'm a 9 and 1/2 Wide.

I also have no arch. Basically I'm completely flat footed if that matters.

For example for an eight it says its Heel to Toe 9 1/2. Does that mean its really a 9 and half which is indeed my regular show size?

Or should I get the 9 which says heel to toe 10? Since a nine and a half is closer to a ten anyway.

Or should I just a get the size 10? Since apparently these boots don't come in a wide so would size ten make up for that? Or again is the nine really a ten if that's what heel to toe means?

Also I'm 5'6 so how tall will these 4 1/2" heels make me? Or would there even be a noticeable difference since I'm already tall(ish) for a woman?

I would only be wearing these heels for an hour for a work Halloween party. Then I will put my regular shoes back on. I would have to walk across the street to the party venue and then I'll be sitting down the rest of the time.

Also is it true costumes run small? I did my measurements and I got 35(maybe 37?),38,34. So should I get a medium or large to be on the safe side

Edit: I went on and got the large. I hope that was the right decision. I still need help on the boots though.

Last edited:

Christinegirl

Staff member
When I buy boots, the size is usually the same as my shoe size. (Though I have noticed, it often depends on the manufacturer - just like dresses.) That's why I like going to a store and trying things on.

If you order online, I'd maybe get a half size larger than what you usually wear and if the boots are a little big, you can always wear an extra pair of socks (which will give you a little extra "cushion" and you won't get blisters as quickly). :)
(I love those boots, by the way!) :cool:

Okay, math time: :D The boots would make you 5 feet 10 1/2 inches tall (I would think).
Costumes, like dresses, can be sized according to a particular costume/dress maker/company rather than measurements. It's usually better to get something a little larger (especially if you're tall) - you can always safety-pin it together or make pleats if it's too large. ;)

I hope you have a lovely time at the party (but I wouldn't let a guy get my drinks or drink something from a punch-bowl or an already opened container - unless you plan on having sex with a co-worker).
Too many guys try to get a woman drunk so she'll have sex with him.

fantasy08

When I buy boots, the size is usually the same as my shoe size. (Though I have noticed, it often depends on the manufacturer - just like dresses.) That's why I like going to a store and trying things on.

If you order online, I'd maybe get a half size larger than what you usually wear and if the boots are a little big, you can always wear an extra pair of socks (which will give you a little extra "cushion" and you won't get blisters as quickly). :)
(I love those boots, by the way!) :cool:

Okay, math time: :D The boots would make you 5 feet 10 1/2 inches tall (I would think).
Costumes, like dresses, can be sized according to a particular costume/dress maker/company rather than measurements. It's usually better to get something a little larger (especially if you're tall) - you can always safety-pin it together or make pleats if it's too large. ;)

I hope you have a lovely time at the party (but I wouldn't let a guy get my drinks or drink something from a punch-bowl or an already opened container - unless you plan on having sex with a co-worker).
Too many guys try to get a woman drunk so she'll have sex with him.
What does Heel to Toe mean? For example the boot in the picture says an eight is heel toe 9 1/2. Does that mean I should get an eight? The nine says heel to toe is ten etc.

Do you think it's wise for someone who has never worn heels to wear boots with a 4 and a half one? It looks like its a stiletto to. I was confident about wearing them,but some people have been scaring saying I can break my ankle etc.

Christinegirl

Staff member
Heel to toe usually means the length from our heel to our big toe (or middle toe, whichever is longest), in inches, is the shoe size. So, for example, if my foot measures 8 inches from my heel to my longest toe, I'd wear a size 8 shoe.
In your case, if you usually wear a size 9 1/2 shoe, you'd get a size 8 boot from this particular manufacturer. :)

I wouldn't recommend wearing 4 1/2 inch heels (even in boots) unless you're very comfortable wearing such a high heel. The boot would give you a certain amount of support around the ankle (one of the reasons I love wearing high-top sneakers/tennis shoes/running shoes and boots :) ) but you still might twist your ankle.
Hopefully you can find the same kind of stylish boot with a 2 inch heel instead. If you can't, what I do is I walk on the balls of my feet (instead of heel/toe, heel/toe) so my weight is never put on the heel. As you'll be sitting down most of the time, you should be okay. :)

fantasy08

Heel to toe usually means the length from our heel to our big toe (or middle toe, whichever is longest), in inches, is the shoe size. So, for example, if my foot measures 8 inches from my heel to my longest toe, I'd wear a size 8 shoe.
In your case, if you usually wear a size 9 1/2 shoe, you'd get a size 8 boot from this particular manufacturer. :)

I wouldn't recommend wearing 4 1/2 inch heels (even in boots) unless you're very comfortable wearing such a high heel. The boot would give you a certain amount of support around the ankle (one of the reasons I love wearing high-top sneakers/tennis shoes/running shoes and boots :) ) but you still might twist your ankle.
Hopefully you can find the same kind of stylish boot with a 2 inch heel instead. If you can't, what I do is I walk on the balls of my feet (instead of heel/toe, heel/toe) so my weight is never put on the heel. As you'll be sitting down most of the time, you should be okay. :)
Just to be on the safe side I would should I go up a size? When I tried some boots on in the store the tens felt better than the nines. Also since these boots don't come in a wide shouldn't I also go up to compensate for that?

So a 9 since its heel to toe is a ten? Or should I get the ten with a heel to toe of 10 1/4" .

I want these boots because they are true to the costume, and it's only a hour where I will be sitting down. However, I'm getting scared. Is a 4 and half really that dangerous? Especially for a hour sitting down, and the only walking I would do would be to cross the street. Also I plan on practicing around the house with them, and outside my home the entire week before Halloween. Could I wear say three pairs of socks for extra cushioning on my ankle?

What if I broke or sawed the heel off. I'm getting so scared I might do that.

Christinegirl

Staff member
I would recommend getting the size 9 boot (like you said) which should be equivalent to a sized 10 shoe (according to their specifications). The buckles look like they're adjustable (rather than just decorative) so you could adjust them if you need to. I'd rather have footwear that's a little big rather than too small.
You're right, you might not even need to wear extra socks (because you normally take a wide size) and the size 9 boot should be a little wider than a size 8 boot.

The size 10 boot might have your foot swimming in the boot :D but if you can't try them on first (or easily return them by mail), you might want to "rather be safe than sorry" and get the size 10 boot (which is the equivalent of a 10 1/4 sized shoe) and just wear as many extra pairs of socks as you need to so it feels comfortable.

A 4 1/2 inch heel is only dangerous if you're not experienced with wearing high heels and you do a lot of walking (which you won't be doing). Besides, you're going to practice so I'm sure you'll be a pro come Halloween. ;) And the buckle around the ankle area will also give you extra support so I'm sure you'll be fine.

I wouldn't recommend breaking or sawing off the heel because it makes the footwear very uncomfortable - the boot is designed to bend where the ball of the foot ends and the instep begins. If the heel is missing (and the sole of the boot sits flat on the floor), the bend will dig into your foot between the ball and the instep - very uncomfortable!
You'd be better off wearing men's boots (with only a one or two inch heel). It would also be authentic because you could be a lady pirate who's wearing your husband's/lover's boots or boots you took off someone who's booty you stole ⛵ (pardon the pun). :D
I guess it depends on whether you want to make a fashion statement and whether you plan to wear them for other occasions (or even day to day wear). If you think you could wear the high heel boots often, with (for example) skirts, then it might be worth buying the high heels. If they're not practical day to day wear, you might want to get men's boots instead (especially with winter just around the corner). ☃

fantasy08

I would recommend getting the size 9 boot (like you said) which should be equivalent to a sized 10 shoe (according to their specifications). The buckles look like they're adjustable (rather than just decorative) so you could adjust them if you need to. I'd rather have footwear that's a little big rather than too small.
You're right, you might not even need to wear extra socks (because you normally take a wide size) and the size 9 boot should be a little wider than a size 8 boot.

The size 10 boot might have your foot swimming in the boot :D but if you can't try them on first (or easily return them by mail), you might want to "rather be safe than sorry" and get the size 10 boot (which is the equivalent of a 10 1/4 sized shoe) and just wear as many extra pairs of socks as you need to so it feels comfortable.

A 4 1/2 inch heel is only dangerous if you're not experienced with wearing high heels and you do a lot of walking (which you won't be doing). Besides, you're going to practice so I'm sure you'll be a pro come Halloween. ;) And the buckle around the ankle area will also give you extra support so I'm sure you'll be fine.

I wouldn't recommend breaking or sawing off the heel because it makes the footwear very uncomfortable - the boot is designed to bend where the ball of the foot ends and the instep begins. If the heel is missing (and the sole of the boot sits flat on the floor), the bend will dig into your foot between the ball and the instep - very uncomfortable!
You'd be better off wearing men's boots (with only a one or two inch heel). It would also be authentic because you could be a lady pirate who's wearing your husband's/lover's boots or boots you took off someone who's booty you stole ⛵ (pardon the pun). :D
I guess it depends on whether you want to make a fashion statement and whether you plan to wear them for other occasions (or even day to day wear). If you think you could wear the high heel boots often, with (for example) skirts, then it might be worth buying the high heels. If they're not practical day to day wear, you might want to get men's boots instead (especially with winter just around the corner). ☃

Before I click order I want to make sure so get a 9 since its really a 10 with this heel to toe thing? Gotcha .

The chart if it matters.

Size 8
Heel to Toe 9 1/2"
Total Length 18 1/2"
Calf Circumference 13"
Heel Height 4 1/2"

Size 9
Heel to Toe 10"
Total Length 19 3/4"
Calf Circumference 13"
Heel Height 4 1/2"

Size 10
Heel to Toe 10 1/4"
Total Length 20"
Calf Circumference 13"
Heel Height 4 1/2"

However, since I have flat feet(no arch) and wear a wide will this nine that's really a ten make up for that? The boots I tried on at the mall said 9 and half or ten WIDE on the box. These costume boots look like that are just straight 9's, 10's etc with no wide's. Basically for normal footed people with arches.

I also just took my shoe size with a tape measure and a piece of paper. One foot is a ten. The other foot is a 9 and a half. Lol how is that even possible.

Thank you! You've been very reassuring an helpful :)

Last edited:

Christinegirl

Staff member
You're very welcome, hon. :)

In my experience, boots aren't usually shaped with an inner arch (the way a lot of tennis shoes are). You might want to insert inner soles with arches (which might also help if the boots are a little big for your feet).

The size 9 boot should be a little wider than the sized 8 boot, for example, so it should be okay.

It's actually quite normal for us to be non-symmetrical, whether it's one leg being longer than the other, one foot being wider/longer than the other, etc. I don't get it either. :D I can understand one hand/one chest muscle being larger than the other (depending on whether we're right or left-handed) but we don't use one leg/foot more than the other! Maybe you can wear an extra sock on the foot that's a little smaller. :)

I hope the boots fit perfectly and you're the best dressed person at the party! :cool: