• Hello and welcome to GirlsForum.com, an online community for girls to talk about anything: fashion, beauty tips, or advice! We'd love to have you as part of our community so why not sign up today? It's free!

I'd like to gain weight

sarah00

I'm sorry if this is weird for anyone - it's a weird topic
I've always been thin, I'm 19, and I'd like to gain weight, like fat. About 20-30 pounds by the end of the year.
I don't have a lot of money to spend on food, so how can I gain weight without eating too much extra? How can I slow my metabolism?

Christinegirl

Staff member
Foods high in sugar and fat will put on the pounds but they're often not healthy for us.
Not exercising helps to keep the pounds on but again, not very healthy.

Why do you want to gain 20-30 pounds (and by the end of the year)? As it's getting close to the end of August, that's a lot of weight to gain in such a short amount of time.

But we're glad you're here. Welcome to Girls Forum! ☀

sarah00

I'm glad to be here too! There seems to be a lot of good information here.
BTW, I really appreciate your response - I like your heart picture :D

So sugary and fatty foods, along with not exercising will do the trick?
What kinds of food should I be looking at? Candies and other sweets mainly? Should I add a lot of sugar to my teas?

The health aspect isn't too concerning, as I'm relatively thin currently.
I've wanted to gain that amount of weight for a few months now. It's because I've always been pretty thin and I'd like to make changes. A couple people I know have gotten "puffier" in the last few years, and I'm jealous of them. I like the way they look with the extra weight, and they can eat a lot. They also never mention seats hurting like I do, since I feel my bones when sitting down on a hard seat.

I've never eaten a lot, so that's something that I'd like to indulge into as well, having lived with self restriction for years, I was always afraid of what people would say.

I'd like to gain 20-30 pounds by the end of the year for a few reasons. I do most of my clothes shopping then, so it would be fine if my old clothes didn't fit by then.
Also because I'm a little bit impatient at times, but also ambitious, so it's almost like a huge goal for me to have the extra weight before the year is up.

It seems awkward when I type it out, but I've always been pretty small too. I've never really had any "feminine" features, so I'm small in the "defining" areas for girls. It's again because I'm thin and don't eat a whole lot. I want to eat a lot though, so I'll have to look into ways to train myself to eat more and not feel sick.

What should I look out for during this transition? My friends claim that it affects your cycles, so how do I prepare for that with a changing size? Do I have to buy larger "hygiene" products too? o_0
Are there any estrogen boosting habits, products, or foods that I can look into to help me with the "feminine" areas where I'm lacking?

Thank you so much for reading all of this lol
If there's ever anything I can do to help, just let me know :D

VivaGlow

Okay, so just a disclosure, I'm not a nutritionist, but I want to give you some sisterly advice.

Don't stuff yourself with sugar and fatty foods just to gain weight quicker. It MAY do the deed, but you MAY be unhappy with the results in terms of aesthetics.

You'll feel more exhausted easily and you're not going to like the way your skin's texture will look.

BUT, you can try to gain weight the healthy way. I know you said money is an issue, but you see if you want to get great results, you have to also give it some time and effort. Have you heard about the saying "Good things take time"? Yeah.

I'm not sure if 20-30 pounds is a realistic number, though. Any chance you can pull it down a notch?

Eat more frequently. When you're underweight, you may feel full faster. Eat five to six smaller meals during the day rather than two or three large meals.
Choose nutrient-rich foods. As part of an overall healthy diet, choose whole-grain breads, pastas and cereals; fruits and vegetables; dairy products; lean protein sources; and nuts and seeds.
Try smoothies and shakes. Don't fill up on diet soda, coffee and other drinks with few calories and little nutritional value. Instead, drink smoothies or healthy shakes made with milk and fresh or frozen fruit, and sprinkle in some ground flaxseed. In some cases, a liquid meal replacement may be recommended.
Watch when you drink. Some people find that drinking fluids before meals blunts their appetite. In that case, it may be better to sip higher calorie beverages along with a meal or snack. For others, drinking 30 minutes after a meal, not with it, may work.
Make every bite count. Snack on nuts, peanut butter, cheese, dried fruits and avocados. Have a bedtime snack, such as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or a wrap sandwich with avocado, sliced vegetables, and lean meat or cheese.
Top it off. Add extras to your dishes for more calories — such as cheese in casseroles and scrambled eggs, and fat-free dried milk in soups and stews.
Have an occasional treat. Even when you're underweight, be mindful of excess sugar and fat. An occasional slice of pie with ice cream is OK. But most treats should be healthy and provide nutrients in addition to calories. Bran muffins, yogurt and granola bars are good choices.
Exercise. Exercise, especially strength training, can help you gain weight by building up your muscles. Exercise may also stimulate your appetite.

Last edited by a moderator:

sarah00

I like your advice - thanks for the reply :D
I think 20-30 pounds is a good goal for me. I like to be ambitious, and about 1000 extra calories a day should get me to my desired weight.
I've always been really strict on myself in terms of my diet, and I've grown to just not like it anymore, so I really want to give it a try. I've given it some deep consideration, and I'm sure that I want to.
Again, I don't have a lot going for me in my chest or lower body, so gaining fat would help with that.

Are there any tips that you know of for slowing your metabolism or something that will make weight gain easy?

VivaGlow

Hmm...aside from a sedentary lifestyle and aging? Well, skipping meals then eating more throughout the day, cutting calories. I think livestrong.com has an article about that.

Christinegirl

Staff member
@sarah00 Thank you kindly. ღ

You might want to get comfy (on a soft cushion ;) ) as this is a long post. ☺

Soda pop (coke, pepsi, etc.) has a lot of sugar, as does watermelon (and fruit is better for us than sugary drinks such as soda and sweetened tea). Drinks provide more calories than candies.

"Washing down" fruit with chocolate is one of my favorite things. :) Eating a chocolate spread (like Nutella) by the spoonful can result in taking in more calories than eating one piece of chocolate at a time.

Things like donuts can have fat and sugar but I recommend foods like fish with a high oil content (because it's a better kind of fat). Peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, etc. is also good.

Using whole milk or condensed milk in cooking instead of low-fat or skim milk and
eating canned fish packed in oil instead of water are two other ways to increase those calories (though low-fat and skim milk are better for us). ;)

Adding oils to salads, stir-frys, etc. and pouring melted cheese or gravy on vegetables can increase your caloric content while still eating healthy foods. I recommend using poly-unsaturated oils (oils that are liquid at room temperature).
Fats (like butter, lard, etc.) that are solid at room temperature aren't as good for our heart and arteries.

Sit all day, drive from one front door to another, use an elevator/escalator instead of taking the stairs, etc. will keep those pounds on our hips. ;)

If you just don't want to look thin, I'd also (and I know this is contrary to what I just advised) exercise at the gym to bulk up your muscles (and don't stretch them afterwards).
Or you could always wear extra layers of clothing (along with turtleneck knitted sweaters tucked into your slacks, padded push-up bras, etc.) and eat a healthy diet. :)
It's no fun carrying around a lot of excess weight: it's not good for our heart, our joints, etc.

I lost weight once so I know what you mean about sitting on a hard surface and feeling our pelvic bone! :oops: I would lean to one side (and rest on one butt cheek) so it wasn't so uncomfortable! Exercising the glutes (our butt) will make our booty bigger (and I recommend carrying around something like an 8 1/2 by 11 sized foam pad in a folder for those church pews, park benches, etc., until you become bootylicious). :D

We may always find people who will criticize - regardless of what we do, what we look like. They usually don't like themselves, so they take it out on others.
If you have the misfortune of having to interact with those type of people, they'll find something to make fun of - even if it's what side of your head you part your hair. :rolleyes: They're the problem, hon, not you. Please do what's best for you, regardless of what others say, regardless of how others look.

As your tummy isn't used to eating a lot, I would increase my food content slowly: possibly sitting (on a nice soft couch or bed) in front of the TV/computer with a big bag of potato chips (potatoes are high in carbohydrates which, along with sugar, is broken down to glucose) or a gallon tub of ice-cream, eating straight out of the container and stop when you're full - enjoying the flavor/taste as well as the movie/show. Speaking of indulgences! :D (And I use the large plastic container to soak my delicate undergarments in.) We can look just as sexy with small breasts in sexy lingerie. Some men prefer small breasts - as long as they have a "handful", they're happy - and they don't sag as much as we get older. (Our breasts, not the men. Men sag as they get older - lol!)

Having foods high in salt (like potato chips, cheese, etc.) can help us retain water (so we look "puffier") but I wouldn't recommend eating too much salt as it can create an electrolyte imbalance - which causes a whole bunch of other problems. It's not worth it.
Moderation in most things is best. :)

With the cooler weather just around the corner (increased appetite),
then Halloween (candy),
thanksgiving (extra gravy),
and Christmas (goodies), I'm sure the pounds will add up. ☃

It's hard not to be "impatient" when we're looking forward to something exciting but I would recommend adding the pounds slowly: it's healthier and we don't get stretch marks - it happened to me. (And I don't think those things go away.) :eek:

If you're not at your target-weight by the end of the year, I'd buy plus-sized outfits and just "nip and tuck" them, letting them out when you reach your desired size. And/or purchase clothes made with stretch material that can accommodate whatever body-type you have.

Our menstrual cycles shouldn't be affected that much by our weight. (I think that's an old husband's tale aka "an old wife's tale". ;) ) I've been over and under weight and my cycle and flow was the same. :)
A woman with a healthy diet might have a slightly thicker uterine lining (with more nutrients) as opposed to a woman who is malnourished but you shouldn't see a drastic increase in the monthly flow.

When we gain weight (and those extra calories are converted to fat and stored in our body), the fat is also stored in our mammary fat tissue so our breasts increase in size. (It's much better than getting breast implants which can sometimes leak, become harder as the years go by, etc.)
Another reason to gain weight slowly is because if you gain weight too quickly, you might feel small lumps of fatty deposits when you do your monthly breast exam - which can be scary if they weren't there last month.

Wearing heels (even two inch heels) help our hips to sway when we walk (as opposed to wearing flats) - thus making the most of what we got. ;) (Though I'd be careful not to look too sexy when in public - I'm sad to say. Not that there's anything wrong with looking va-va-voom! :) but because we may attract the wrong kind of attention.)

I never mind how long someone's post is (which is why I find Twitter soooo frustrating! :D) so it was a pleasure to read your post. (My posts tend to be pretty long, too, at times.)

Thank you for your kind offer and please feel free to ask any questions you have. If I don't know, I'll try to find out - so we'll learn together. ლ (For example, I've been saying "mamillary" glands all this time but when I went to check if it had one or two "m's", I realized I've been mispronouncing it and it's actually "mammary" glands!) :D We learn something new every day. So thank you for helping me. ♥

sarah00

Thank you both for your advice :D

The less exercise part is definitely something that would be nice, though I will still do some.
And yes, we do learn something new every day! I love that saying.

I think you've all answered my main questions, so thank you so much! :)
I hope that this forum or post will act as good reference for any other girls who want to do the same. I'm definitely glad that I decided to come here

I do still have a few questions though, but they're a little bit more personal.
If possible, I'd love to message or email with you. Again thank you so much for all of your help, as I'm now looking forward to starting this change in my life :D

Christinegirl

Staff member
Thank you, Sarah. Yes, you're welcome to send me a PM (personal/private message) if you'd be more comfortable. :)

Christinegirl

Staff member
That's a good question! I hadn't sent a PM on this forum yet, either.

You click on my name (under the avatar) and it'll take you to my account page where you can write something in the "write something" section. ;)

sarah00

I'm comfortable with giving you my email if you'd like, since everyone here seems nice
Maybe I can't message yet since my account is still new :confused:

Christinegirl

Staff member
Sorry for the late reply, I just got back from mass. (I go on Saturday evening so I can sleep in on Sunday's.) :D

You're not dumb, hon. When you click on my name, do you see anywhere where you have a message from me? (I sent you a little "hi" message before.)

sarah00

Oh you're fine. That's actually a smart idea for mass.
I did get your "hi", but I only see it when I go to my profile. I don't get anything other than the four tab sections when I go onto yours. :confused:

Christinegirl

Staff member
:)

It might be different because I'm a moderator. I'll ask the administrator when she comes back on duty, tomorrow. :)

But we'll see if this works until then:
on your profile page, click on the Members tab.
It should take you to the page that says: "Notable members".
Under the heading: "Highest reaction score", my name should be the fifth one down.
Click on my name (you may have to click on it twice) and it should take you to a
page.

When I scroll down the page, I can see:
my name
when I joined
"last seen"...
etc.

Then there's a blue line that says: "Profile posts"...
Then under that, there's a box with the words "write something" in it.

What do you see when you click on my name? :)

I'm using a laptop. Are you using a laptop/computer, also? If you're using a phone, it might be different. :)

sarah00

I'm using a desktop computer. I'm actually not all that into using my phone, so I rarely ever know where it is.
After following your advice, I see everything, except for the "write something" :confused:

Christinegirl

Staff member
Ok, good to know. :) (I don't use a phone for the internet, either. The screen's too small and I'd rather use my eight fingers instead of my two thumbs, to type.) :D

Another thing I thought we might try is: when you go to your profile page (and you can see my "hi"), are you able to respond to it (by typing underneath it) like I can on my page? (please see graphic) ⬇

Attachments

sarah00

Nope-edie-nope.
Thank you for including the graphic, but I don't get a box to type a reply in. I only get something like that when I want to post something in a forum topic like this

Christinegirl

Staff member
Ok. Well at least we know what doesn't work. :D

We'll do it the "old-fashioned" way :D and correspond by email.
As you can see my "hi" PM, I'll PM to you my email address. ;)

At least you can let me know, here in the general forum area, if you can see it. ;)