• Hello and welcome to GirlsForum.com, an online community for girls to talk about anything: fashion, beauty tips, or advice! We'd love to have you as part of our community so why not sign up today? It's free!

How to fix/find my style *PLEASE HELP!!!*

Honeybunny

Hey!
Let's face it... I'm a country farm girl with a broken sense of style.
I'm not really interested in guys thinking I'm hot, sexy etc. But I would like to look more attractive and stop being afraid of the mirror. I used to be comfortable with my misshapen and cracked style sense, but now I just hate everything I wear, how dirty I ALWAYS look and how my makeup looks good, but doesn't really improve my cowgirl jeans. Don't get me wrong, I'm a very lucky girl, with plenty of great features, but I usually come out of the bathroom looking like a model in the face, with my hair pulled back in a messy unattractive ponytail, with total barn hair. I'll look in the mirror and see the same pair of jeans, converse or boots, a tee shirt or maybe a tank and if I'm LUCKY a necklace. I just am sick and tired of being laughed at and judged by other girls my age. I'm 6'2" so I feel uncomfortable in heels (I have a couple pairs), and my style is a mix of vintage x cowgirl x wanna be sexy girl
I fail them all. I just want to look nice for once instead of looking like I got hit by a dumptruck. My mom won't help and won't let me wear crop tops, bikinis, short jean shorts and any bra over a trainer... I'm 17. I just need advice on style... anything will help. I want to look like a little bit of Instagram model mixed with a little honest country and some natural beauty. HELP!!!!

Christinegirl

Staff member
You might like to make an appointment with a stylist/beauty salon (if you're not under lockdown anymore) and hopefully they can offer suggestions to change your hair style.

If girls are laughing at and judging you, hon, they probably don't feel very good about themselves so they try to make others feel as bad as they feel (because misery loves company).

Some high end stores will offer advice regarding style. (They may want you to buy the most expensive clothes but they often give good advice when helping you choose a style - maybe something you hadn't thought of before.) :)

Honeybunny

You might like to make an appointment with a stylist/beauty salon (if you're not under lockdown anymore) and hopefully they can offer suggestions to change your hair style.

If girls are laughing at and judging you, hon, they probably don't feel very good about themselves so they try to make others feel as bad as they feel (because misery loves company).

Some high end stores will offer advice regarding style. (They may want you to buy the most expensive clothes but they often give good advice when helping you choose a style - maybe something you hadn't thought of before.) :)
Hey! Thanks for the reply. I've tried some nice stores (one in my area helped me a ton with advice on getting jeans that fit my long legs) I'd like to go to a stylist but I'm literally TERRIFIED of them... I'm very proud of my long naturally Scottish based curls, and I'm always worried that they will cut to much off etc. like it freaks me out. xD The trouble with my hair is finding other ways of putting it up or out of my face, without it always looking the same, and without spending money I don't have or trusting it to a salon that doesn't know my curl pattern. facepalm I have tricky hair.

Do you have any advise on how to convince my mom to let me wear some of the clothing items I'd like to wear, but am not allowed to? Especially bra's? I need a hell of a lot more support then I'm getting lol. For example I'd like a nicer more dainty underwear then the white cotton items she ALWAYS buys me without asking.
My main issue is I lack confidence in myself because last several years I've suffered under really harsh abuse from people I thought where my friends, things such as fake hugging me to put a sign that said "Punch this f***in looser." I've broken away from them but now I feel like a little moth who thought she was going to be beautiful but ended up being told she was just a ugly brown moth. And my mom's over sheltering is not helping. I'd like to not be regulated to her hand-me-downs... most my closet is made of clothes that she gave me from her closet or storage bins. I like some of it, but most is just stuff I wear to muck around in and I feel old wearing them. Not young and sexy like I know I really am and how I want (for myself) to feel. :( Anyway TYSM for the reply. <3

Last edited by a moderator:

Christinegirl

Staff member
You're very welcome, hon. :)
I don't blame you for feeling anxious about going to an unknown stylist. It would be great if you knew of someone with tricky-long hair who went to a specific hairdresser/stylist and had a positive experience - then you could maybe take a chance on them.
I would experiment with hair accessories; scarfs, pins, etc. to find different styles - looking at fashion magazines/websites for ideas. If you have someone who could help braid your hair or offer suggestions, that might help, too. Two heads are better than one - pardon the pun. :D

The nicer, more dainty underwear might not give the support that us full figured gals need (as nice as they might be). But if you explain to your mom that the underwear she buys you doesn't give you the support you need, maybe she'll let you buy something that's nicer but also gives you more support. And maybe if you have a part-time job, you can buy some of the nice, dainty underwear and wear it at home. ;)

I'm so sorry you had fake friends in your life, hon. I'm glad you broke away from them. But even though they treated you like you were an "ugly brown moth", you were always (and are) a beautiful butterfly. They acted "ugly".

And mothers mean well, but sometimes they can be a little overprotective, a little over-sheltering. I recommend studying hard (if you're still in school), get good grades, graduate, hopefully get a good-paying job, then you can buy all the lovely clothes you'd like, and you won't have to wear hand-me-downs/second-hand clothes anymore. :)

Rhonda333

wow 6'2"- you are a natural model Honey. Enjoy it dear. There are millions of squat little women out there who would die for you height. And you can deal with most men eye to eye. That's an enormous advantage in business. Men will take you more seriously if you can do that. I'm 6'2 in heels and that used to bother me but then I realized what a wonderful advantage that was. So drag out those heels dear and wear them

Last edited: