• Hello and welcome to GirlsForum.com, an online community for girls to talk about anything: fashion, beauty tips, or advice! We'd love to have you as part of our community so why not sign up today? It's free!

Hair Straightening

davie2010

My hair can really be an issue for me sometimes in trying to get it straightened. It is somewhat thick and is a few inches past my shoulders in length. I worry a lot that i am damaging it a lot from the heat of the iron. Does anybody have this same issue? Also, is there a good straightening cream you could recommend?

Christinegirl

{No brand names, please.} I heard that if we brush our hair when it's wet (and maybe wrap it tightly in a towel so it stays straight), it's supposed to help straighten our hair naturally.

The thing with creams is, we have to put it near or on our scalp and I don't know for how long - so there's a danger that some of the chemicals could damage the scalp.

Hopefully your hair is the kind of hair that becomes less curly, the longer it is. :)

davie2010

{No brand names, please.} I heard that if we brush our hair when it's wet (and maybe wrap it tightly in a towel so it stays straight), it's supposed to help straighten our hair naturally.

The thing with creams is, we have to put it near or on our scalp and I don't know for how long - so there's a danger that some of the chemicals could damage the scalp.

Hopefully your hair is the kind of hair that becomes less curly, the longer it is. :)
oh wow... i didn't realize that about creams... that does not sound good. I will try that with the towel though.... do you know how long i should keep it wrapped? This is the first time i have let my hair grow long so i am still learning how best to take care of it and manage it style-wise. I sure hope as it grows longer that it will stay straighter!

I think i also need to make an appointment to get it trimmed.... it seems like the ends are kind of damaged a bit and i have read that when this happens its good to get it trimmed. I'm a bit nervous about it...lol i need to figure out what to tell them to do with it when i go to get it cut.

Christinegirl

Maybe you can tell them what your needs are and they'll know what to do (if they're good) - including giving you some good suggestions in the way of styling.
If you can get a referral to a good hair dresser, beautician, salon, etc., maybe they can permanently straighten your hair for you. They work with products all the time so they should know which ones won't damage your scalp.

As far as wrapping my wet hair in a towel, I'd leave it wrapped up until my hair was almost dry - usually about 15-30 minutes. ;)

davie2010

that's an excellent idea....thanks! Actually my cousin told me about the woman she goes to who she likes a lot. My cousin's hair always looks awesome... only thing is she is like 30 min away but it may be worth it!

I will try the towel trick tomorrow! :)

JohnstonZoe

This also is a problem for me, because of my wavy and freezy texture. Since I can remember myself, I always tried to calm my hair somehow, using heavy creams, keratin, or other soothing products for my hair. Also, I’m used to apply a lot of heat on my hair, which of course is not that good for its overall health. That’s why I decided to invest in a good hair straightener, that wouldn’t damage my hair that much. I did a lot of research on this topic, and ultimately, I decided to buy a ghd flat iron. I read about it on this platform, you can also read more about it. High quality products are very important when it comes to your hair.

Last edited:

davie2010

So i've been starting to go more days without trying to straightening it just to give it a break. It's hard for me to get used to because mine is wavy and sometimes frizzy as well, especially on certain days when it drives me crazy. I finally made an appointment with the woman that my cousin goes to so I'm hoping that i will have fewer issues after that!

Emmy7894

I have wavy hair and ive been straightening them for 10 years. I stopped because they would fall a lot. Now i embrace my natural wavy hair and everybody says i look more beautiful.