• Hello and welcome to GirlsForum.com, an online community for girls to talk about anything: fashion, beauty tips, or advice! We'd love to have you as part of our community so why not sign up today? It's free!

Girl Empowerment

Taraine

Hello!
I just have a quick story for you. Last week I was sitting in the park before work enjoying the view, and a young man passed by and gave me "the nod" of respect and a quick smile. The kind of acknowledgement that says, I see you, we have similarity of experience, I am not a threat. It's an acknowledgement that occurs between non-white people (when you feel like a minority) that utterly warms the heart and tends to pop up out of the blue when you least expect it. I gave him my best grin and said "Hello!" because I was delighted by encountering a friendly stranger.
This young man was born in the Philippines and adopted as a child into a white family. They were great, but he still has a lot of trouble connecting properly and finding his own place in life where he is comfortable and secure. I know these things because he after a few