• Hello and welcome to GirlsForum.com, an online community for girls to talk about anything: fashion, beauty tips, or advice! We'd love to have you as part of our community so why not sign up today? It's free!

Fashion Advice

Jane05

Hi everyone! A few years ago I go moved from a very warm climate to a very cold one. My parents are afraid that I’ll get sick from the slightest cold, so they always make me bundle up. To everyone who lives up here, this weather is considered warm and they’re all wearing light clothes, meanwhile I still have to wear a heavy down coat (calf length parka style with a furry hood), snow pants, and winter boots. I always feel I stand out dressed like that, especially when I go to school.

Christinegirl

Staff member
If you live with your parents, there may not be a whole lot you can do to "veto" their decision. If you don't feel the cold too much anymore, maybe you can wear the clothes your parents want you to wear (when you leave the house) and then put the extra clothing in your locker.

Most people don't get sick when they get wet or get cold - it's an old-husband's-tale. (The expression used to be "old wives tale" but I've seen more men spread rumors/myths than women. ;) ) We usually have to be exposed to some kind of germ/virus/bacteria to get sick (and then we can get sick whether we've walked in the rain or not, or been exposed to cold weather or not). ;)

If you've explained to your parents that it isn't necessary to bundle up so much, that you stand out at school, etc. and they still insist you "overdress", maybe you can explain to your friends at school that your parents are very over-protective and they won't listen to reason! :D I'm sure a lot of the students will be able to relate! ;)

Jane05

If you live with your parents, there may not be a whole lot you can do to "veto" their decision. If you don't feel the cold too much anymore, maybe you can wear the clothes your parents want you to wear (when you leave the house) and then put the extra clothing in your locker.

Most people don't get sick when they get wet or get cold - it's an old-husband's-tale. (The expression used to be "old wives tale" but I've seen more men spread rumors/myths than women. ;) ) We usually have to be exposed to some kind of germ/virus/bacteria to get sick (and then we can get sick whether we've walked in the rain or not, or been exposed to cold weather or not). ;)

If you've explained to your parents that it isn't necessary to bundle up so much, that you stand out at school, etc. and they still insist you "overdress", maybe you can explain to your friends at school that your parents are very over-protective and they won't listen to reason! :D I'm sure a lot of the students will be able to relate! ;)
Yeah I definitely haven’t been able to “veto” them on this lol and I do put my parka, snow pants, and boots in my locker when I get to school, it’s still just kinda embarrassing to wear all that stuff to and from school when no one else is.

Yvonne Camara

Parisienne
Hi Everyone, it's Yvonne,

The new little girl on the web and who already sees herself as a future Anna Wintour lol! :)

On my side I embarked on the YouTube adventure to share my delusions "Fashion, Travel and fun" on YV TV!
Feel free to join me on YV TV and subscribe to cheer this new channel!

Bisou Bisou,
Yvonne

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Aditi Ekbote

With changing season, we need to wear the cloths, according to the seasons, but as you have already explained that you are moving from a very warm climate to a very cold one so it’s not suitable you only for few days. As your body temperature to match the outside temperature so you will fine with that. It’s important to know what type of clothes to wear for the best comfort. whether you’re cold or feeling warm.