• Hello and welcome to GirlsForum.com, an online community for girls to talk about anything: fashion, beauty tips, or advice! We'd love to have you as part of our community so why not sign up today? It's free!

Comic artist rant

Flowergurl

Heyy!! This is not a QnA or anything, just want to rant for a bit, because my low self esteem had been eating me from inside.
I'm a comic artist, currently in webtoon, focusing of merch selling for the characters I made, just like what sanrio did. My comics are available in webtoon and instagram, also twitter. Tho, I won't say the title for privacy reason. We also make animations on youtube, and sell our character's plushies!
I worked together with a partner for this project. We each has a persona of ourself as a cute animal character.
My partner's character didn't get that much attention at first when we started working on this project together, the merchandise of her persona didn't sell out well so I decided that, "hey!! I'm a good comic artist, I'll makesure everyone will loves your character too!!". Soon, her characters get all the love from our fans, but on the other hand my character gets a lot of hate, lots of it.
I asked my partner, to please let me rant to our fans about leaving hate comments. I saw lots of comic artist did that, to tell their readers that they don't like such treatment
But my partner said no, I do have to agree at her choice. We started getting a lot of followers, readers, and fans.
It's just that we need to act professional and pretend that we're not depressed in front of our fans, while we're totally having problem. Because all the readers admire us, they don't want the artist that they admire to be a pity-party lover. So, right now, I kept with the comics, merch, while all the loves are pointed to my partner, and I got all the hates. I just have to pretend it never happened, and be a good public figure for everyone.

That's all guys, thank you a lot for listening to my rant, no, my partner is not bad, she just wants the best for our project, so, yea, thanks for listening XD

Christinegirl

Staff member
Why do the fans hate your character/why did they stop loving your character?

I know it may sound strange, but some people's love is limited. In other words, if there are two or more people/characters, they can only love one at a time.

Could your (current?) boyfriend have something to do with this (seeing as he hates your religion, your ex is the web designer(?), and maybe your boyfriend wants you to be discouraged so you'll "leave" your job, maybe have his kids, etc.)? Just a thought.

Could you sign up as a different person and stand up/speak out in defense of your character? Some people do that.

Flowergurl

Why do the fans hate your character/why did they stop loving your character?

I know it may sound strange, but some people's love is limited. In other words, if there are two or more people/characters, they can only love one at a time.

Could your (current?) boyfriend have something to do with this (seeing as he hates your religion, your ex is the web designer(?), and maybe your boyfriend wants you to be discouraged so you'll "leave" your job, maybe have his kids, etc.)? Just a thought.

Could you sign up as a different person and stand up/speak out in defense of your character? Some people do that.
Heey!!! Thanks for the reply XD
I'll give an overview of what kind of hate I receive

My story goes on with jokes like tom and jerry, where two character fights, and sometimes fights get too intense, my character is the more aggresive one, despite being a herbivore. At first people love that because they find it funny, but once I tried to make people love my partner's character too, they started to despise my character

Oh!! And no this doesn't have anything to do with my boyfriend or ex!! In fact everything's well with me and my boyfriend now! I'm willing to open up and learn about his culture and religion, and he did the same to! Sorry for not updating on the last thread, I'm super busy with my comic XD

Christinegirl

Staff member
No problem. I'm glad things are better with your boyfriend. :)

Thank you for explaining. Actors go through a similar experience: the audience will often treat the actor as if their personality is the same as the character they play.

Maybe don't have your character swearing and when the audience hates on him/her/it, remind yourself that they're taking it out on you due to association. You're "convenient" because they're already venting their hate on the character. And because they have so much "hate to give", it blinds them to the point that they can't see where fantasy ends and reality begins.

You might like to write the background story of your character, explaining that he/she/it wasn't always "the bad guy". But through certain chain of events, the character changed - sadness turned into bitterness. It helps the audience understand, even sympathize with/show compassion towards the character. They still may not like him but maybe they won't hate him so much. The haters still will because they just need something to hate. But that's nothing personal against you or the character.

And always remember: when someone accuses us of something (and they don't know whether it's true or not), they're often just projecting themselves onto us. So, for example, that last guy might be a bully himself. ;)