• Hello and welcome to GirlsForum.com, an online community for girls to talk about anything: fashion, beauty tips, or advice! We'd love to have you as part of our community so why not sign up today? It's free!

Bleeding after termination for 8 weeks ... help

Harriet1992

I had a medical termination on 13th September (please no nasty comments, I already feel a huge sense of guilt) and haven't stopped bleeding since.
It's really getting me down now and is just reminding me of why I'm bleeding in the first place.
I went for a check up two weeks after my termination to be told I had loads of tissue left over and was given tablets to take to let the tissue pass.
The next day I was at work and completely soaked through my clothes and was sent home, I passed so many clots and so much blood. I'm panicking in case it's something else.
Has anyone ever been through this and could anyone share their stories?

Thank you xx

Christinegirl

Staff member
Hon, I'd get a "second opinion". If you have a GYN doctor, please go to him/her or go to your nearest hospital and ask if you can have a D&C (dilation and curettage) procedure performed. It sounds like the abortion wasn't performed properly.

You might like to contact your nearest Project Rachel Center (details can be found at HopeAfterAbortion.org). A lot of women experience what you're emotionally going through now. You're not alone.

Please let us know how things go. ღ

Last edited:

Christinegirl

Staff member
A dilation and curettage (D&C) is a procedure to remove tissue from inside your uterus.

It isn't painful. You may possibly feel a pinch and a sting with the injection, however. Once your cervix (the entrance to your uterus) is numb, you won't be in any pain when your doctor dilates your cervix. You may, however, experience some cramping in your uterus when the doctor removes the tissue left behind. (It's your body's way of contracting and trying to expel the tissue.)

You can have a D&C in your doctor's office, an outpatient clinic, or the hospital. It usually takes only 10 to 15 minutes but you may stay in the office, clinic, or hospital for up to five hours, just so they can monitor you.

Christinegirl

Staff member
It's perfectly understandable that you'd feel drained after what you've gone through - both emotionally and physically. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - here and or at the doctor's office.

You might want to rest as much as you can between now and when you get the procedure done (and even after, too). Your doctor will advise you what to do after the D&C, as well.

Harriet1992

It's perfectly understandable that you'd feel drained after what you've gone through - both emotionally and physically. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - here and or at the doctor's office.

You might want to rest as much as you can between now and when you get the procedure done (and even after, too). Your doctor will advise you what to do after the D&C, as well.
Thank you lovely ❤

Harriet1992

I rang them and they advised that because my period is due this week it could be that. Just felt like they were fobbing me off, told me to stick with it and give it another week

Christinegirl

Staff member
I don't blame you for feeling like they were fobbing you off. (You've been bleeding since September!) Do you have any support groups in your area? Maybe they can refer you to a doctor who specializes in this type of situation.

You could always go back to where the abortion was performed but I don't know how qualified they are. I don't think they're supposed to leave tissue in the uterus!

Thank you for letting us know what happened. I'm keeping you in my prayers. ♥

Harriet1992

It was the place where they gave me the termination tablets I called, when they said I had tissue she said you can either take more tablets to get rid of it or leave it in there which I thought was weird (I’d want it all gone). Fingers crossed this is my period now and it clears it ☹❤

Christinegirl

Staff member
I'd still get a second opinion, hon. I'm wondering how competent the abortionist was, and how knowledgeable these people are (who are giving you the tablets)?!

If tissue is left in the uterus, you can get postabortion sepsis - it's an infection in the uterus, and they should know that.

I still say a doctor should do a D&C, even if you have (or will have) your period - to be sure that the uterus is clear.

Thank you for letting us know.

Christinegirl

Staff member
Hi, Harriet. I was just wondering how everything went. Was the latest bleeding your period? Or were you able to get some proper health care/a second opinion?