• Hello and welcome to GirlsForum.com, an online community for girls to talk about anything: fashion, beauty tips, or advice! We'd love to have you as part of our community so why not sign up today? It's free!

Am I wrong for feeling this way?

Shnoffer

So my boyfriend and I have been together for three years. We went to the mall the other day, even though I made it clear that money was tight for me. He walked out with 8+ bags for himself and didn't offer to get me a single thing. He is well off, money-wise, while I struggle financially. We didn't do a Christmas because of my finances so it wasn't like he got me things for the holidays.

He doesn't know I'm upset about it because I'm not sure if I have a right to be? I have been in a place in my life where I made great money and I showered my friends and family with things that would make them happy. I just know that if the shoe was on the other foot, I would have WANTED to buy him a few gifts, especially around the holidays. Maybe I'm overreacting.

Christinegirl

Staff member
I don't think you're overreacting, hon. As you've been with this guy for three years, I think it's safe to assume you're having sex with him. How would he like it if you pleasured yourself but didn't have sex with him!

I would ask him: "How come you didn't get me anything?" and see what he says. You can tell him that when you were well off, financially, you even showered your friends and family with things that would make them happy...
Too many guys are selfish like that, I'm sorry to say. We give to them but it's a different story when the situation is reversed.

heygurlxo

I have a friend in a similar situation, her boyfriend isn’t really supporting her during her financial struggles or helping in anyway. I told her if it were me, I probably would have said something to my boyfriend about how I didn’t find it particularly nice that he was spending all his money and not offering anything. Even if u don’t take up the offer, making the offer is what matters really.